When my grand daughter was born I wanted to knit some really cute bootees, the following pattern is what finally evolved . We call baby Lily , Tiggly Wiggly , as she squirms and giggles and can never keep still for a moment.
approx 50 gm 4 ply wool.
1 pr size 2 (US ) Needles
1 yard baby ribbon .
k ... knit
m1. make stitch by picking up loop between stitches and knitting into the back of it.
sl 1. slip stitch
k 2 tog.. knit 2 stitches together
yo .. yarn over needle
k1 b... Insert needle from front to back at base of stitch of row below,knit this stitch,at the same
dropping stitch above off needle.
** repeat stitches between asterixes.
Cast on 31 sts.
1 . k
3. k1 , m1, k14 , m1, k1, m1, k14, m1, k1
5. k2, m1, k14 ,m1, k3, m1, k14, m1, k2
7. k3, m1, k14, m1, k5, m1, k14, m1, k3
9. k4, m1, k14, m1, k7, m1, k14 , m1, k4
11. k5,m1,k14 , m1, k9, m1, k14, m1, k5
13. k6, m1, k14, m1, k11, m1, k14, m1, k6. ( 55 stitches on needle )
15. k1 , p1 , * k1, p1b * to last stitch k1.
16. k1, * k1b, p1 * to end.
repeat rows 15 and 16 6 times more.
29. k23, k 2 tog , k2 tog , k1, k 2 tog, k2 tog , k 23
31. k 21, k2 tog, k2 tog , k1 , k 2 tog, k 2 tog, k 21
33. k 19 , k 2 tog, k 2 tog, k1 , k 2 tog, k 2 tog, k 19
34 . k
35. k1 , p1 , to last stitch , k1.
36. p1, k1, to last stitch p1.
37. k1 , * yo , k2 tog * to end
38 .p1, k1, to last stitch , k1.
39. k1, p1, to last stitch , k1.
40. k .... mark this row with a pin marker or piece of wool.
44. k1 , * yo , k 2 tog * to end of row
cast off .
Fold top over to right side ( to create a picot edge ) sew cast off loops to marked row ( row 40 ). turn inside out and sew up back seam and foot seam .